- SarahLacy.com: Hey, You, Get Off Of My Cloud! - "I've been vocal in my criticism of Yahoo's bungling of excellent services they've acquired, most notably Delicious. While they managed not to screw up the beauty that is Flickr, they've done absolutely nothing in over three years of delicious ownership." I've made the same comments about del.icio.us though I hink Sarah is a bit kind WRT flickr.
- tecosystems » OSCON is People - I concur with Stephen's sense of OSCON. Lots of interesting sessions and discussions but no obvious single center of gravity. (Which, as he says, is just fine.)
- louisgray.com: Facebook Still Banning Aliases to Avoid Becoming Fakebook - I'm generally sympathetic to the point of view that it's eminently reasonable under a lot of circumstances to have an Internet nom de plume that's not associated with a real world identity. One problem though is that once you allow fake, there's no way to draw the line at a single consistent online identity.
- Marginal Revolution: Why isn't Asian music more popular? - One of the many things that I'd never stopped to think about. And an interesting discussion of same.
- Iron Mountain's Natural Cooling Advantage - Data Center Knowledge - Interesting discussion and list of how going underground saves on datacenter cooling costs.
- Megan McArdle (July 30, 2008) - It's a small world after all - "I suspect that Twitter, Facebook, and whatever comes after them will mean denser, richer social networks in the future. Already, email is holding people together after college a lot more tightly than the people I graduated with--the last graduating class, basically, before the Web. "
- Rails Envy: Oscon Videos - OSCON2008 in 37 minutes.
- Adobe - Lightroom Developer Center - Lightroom SDK information.
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Posted by Gordon Haff at 2:55 PM