- Annals of Innovation: In the Air: Reporting & Essays: The New Yorker - Malcolm Gladwell on innovation and invention.
- Black Star Rising - Stock Photographers Keep Playing the Hits - "Like popular songs manufactured from a formula, stock photo "hits" aren't necessarily the photos you'd choose as the best representatives of your heart or talent -- but they sure can pull in dollars for you while you are laboring to survive in the stock photo industry."
- Fairness, idealism and other atrocities - Los Angeles Times - "Commencement advice you're unlikely to hear elsewhere." from P.J. O'Rourke [via Marginal Revolution]
- 25 WYSIWYG Editors Reviewed | Developer's Toolbox | Smashing Magazine - When it comes to coding editors, it's damn hard a get clear overview of all the benefits and functionalities different editors have offer. However, in end everybody needs one, so important know which editor is
- A How-to Guide to How-to Videos | Katherine Boehret | The Mossberg Solution | AllThingsD - "It's not always easy to learn from the information you find online, and how-to videos can be a big help -- especially when they're well-made and discoverable using sites featuring instructional clips."
- It's official: The future of Sun/MySQL is open...and closed | The Open Road - The Business and Politics of Open Source by Matt Asay - CNET Blogs - I agree with Matt. Sun has clarified--if in a somewhat offhand way--what its "hybrid" software strategy going forward is. There have been consistently uttered codewords.
- Megan McArdle (May 06, 2008) - What's wrong with chain restaurants? - I try to avoid most chain restaurants but I guess I agree with this more than not.
- Happy spamiversary! Spam reaches 30 - tech - 25 April 2008 - New Scientist Tech - A bulk advertising message sent on the precursor to the internet 30 years ago spawned a phenomenon that now accounts for 90% of all email
- Delta Rolls Out Fancy Seats for Plebeians | Popular Science - Looks interesting.
- Trendpedia (beta) - Social media monitoring, buzz tracking, brand measurement and blog trend search - I'm not sure how much stock to put in these trends tools but I've used them to backup some intuitive impressions about "buzz" levels.
- Reason Magazine - Huzza for Commerce! - "Hotels, then and now, are a material manifestation of a world that prizes free mobility and peaceful exchange."
- OGC unveils new logo to red faces - Telegraph - Very funny.
- There is No Web 3.0, There is No Web 2.0 - There is Just the Web - ReadWriteWeb - I pretty much agree, if only because "web 3.0" seems to encompass a variety of at least somewhat orthogonal things.
- Sun chum Oracle pushes database buyers to IBM | The Register - Per-core pricing and power factors are such a fricking mess. I had to deal with this sort of customized pricing for each new system generation back in the bad old days.
- Linux 2 6 25 - Linux Kernel Newbies - Summary of the changes and new features merged in the Linux Kernel during the 2.6.25 development.
Wednesday, May 07, 2008
Posted by Gordon Haff at 6:24 PM