- The dangerous appeal of the Silicon Valley narrative - The Ed Techie - "There are several necessary elements to the silicon valley narrative: firstly a technological fix is both possible and in existence; secondly that external forces will change, or disrupt, an existing sector; thirdly that wholesale revolution is required; lastly the solution is provided by commerce."
- Red Hat Summit - RT @RedHatEvents: The full 2014 @RedHatSummit agenda is now available! Check out all 160+ sessions & labs: #RedHat #SFO
- Grammar Girl : Is the Semicolon in tl;dr Ironic? :: Quick and Dirty Tips ™ - "Semicolon appear in long, complex sentences—they're a hallmark of writing that would likely earn the tl;dr label."
- The Ethics of Unpaid Labor and the OSS Community | ashe dryden
- Remembering Apple's "1984" Super Bowl ad - O Say Can You See? - RT @DCgov: Today marks the 30th anniversary of Apple's famous "1984" television ad @amhistorymuseum
- MIT and Harvard release working papers on open online courses - MIT News Office - RT @nic221: MIT and Harvard release working papers on open online courses - MIT News Office
- Connecting to the Internet – Finding My 15-Year-Old Website I Built at 16 | Random Drake
- Download Over 250 Free Art Books From the Getty Museum | Open Culture
- In IaaS and PaaS Convergence, It’s PaaS That Should Lead | Cloud Computing Journal - "IaaS should be optimized for the management and delivery of virtual application infrastructure, e.g. networking, storage and compute. In contrast, PaaS requires optimization for scalability and availability of applications."
- On the Matter of Why Bitcoin Matters — The Magazine on Medium — Medium - "Marc Andreessen wrote an essay for the New York Times about Bitcoin, “Why Bitcoin Matters,” in which he attempts to explain the relevancy of the digital currency for the future of commercial transactions. He uses analogies, allegories, history, and ostensible facts to build his case."
- Amazon's 'schizophrenic' open source selfishness scares off potential talent, say insiders • The Register - "Amazon is one of the most technically influential companies operating today – but you wouldn't know it, thanks to a dearth of published research papers and negligible code contributions to the open-source projects it relies on."
- The war against butter is over. Butter won - Quartz
- The Open Source Paleontologist: Open Access Journals in Paleontology
- Twitter / nickbilton: Top: Map of the Internet in ... - RT @nickbilton: Top: Map of the Internet in 1969. Bottom: Map of the Internet in 2013.
- The Daily Dot - Now 10 years old, 4chan is the most important site you never visit
- Who Goes There? Identity Management in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Beta | Red Hat Enterprise Linux Blog - Identity management in RHEL 7 post:
Thursday, January 23, 2014
Posted by Gordon Haff at 12:33 PM