- DaaS Floodgates Open, but the River Behind Them is Dry | Andi Mann – Ubergeek - "Plus in any case, this is early days for Workspaces, so anything could happen. I am clearly skeptical, yet still interested to see how it plays out. After all, perhaps ‘the Amazon halo’ can in fact make this work, in the same way that Apple made portable MP3 players work despite the iPod’s obvious flaws, and the raft of technologically superior extant competitors."
- AWS gets respect but also fear and loathing in Las Vegas — Tech News and Analysis - "Smaller players — many of which offer add-on monitoring, cost assessment and other tools that fill gaps in the AWS stack, publicly praise the company’s ability to continually churn out new services and cut prices. Privately, they’re sweating out concern that if their business does well enough, AWS will swoop into their market and take it over, as always citing customer demand."
- Facebook Ops: Each Staffer Manages 20,000 Servers - "Each Facebook data center operations staffer can manage at least 20,000 servers, and for some admins the number can be as high as 26,000 systems, according to Delfina Eberly, Director of Data Center Operations at Facebook. "
- graphic design — cyrus dahmubed | iqubed design - RT @bostonography: A nice alternative MBTA map design, including a possible future, by Cyrus Dahmubed - /cc @transitmap
- The Mission of Tesla | Blog | Tesla Motors - "It is also why arsonists tend to favor gasoline. Trying to set the side of a building on fire with a battery pack is far less effective."
- Amazon and Apple Business Models | Monday Note - "Amazon “loses” money, Apple makes tons if it. And yet, Wall Street prefers Jeff Bezos’s losses to Tim Cook’s. A look at the two very different cash machines will help dispel the false paradox."
- Build the cloud your developers want and your business needs Registration - On-demand version of the webinar that I did with #redhat CIO @lcongdon on building an internal cloud
- Linux Containers, LXC, FreeBSD Jails, VServer… | Composite Code
- Frequent flier program changes concern travelers - RT @Staten7: Frequent flier program changes concern travelers making biz travel worse seems 2b a core competency
- 4 Major Differences between BaaS and MEAP | Kinvey Backend as a Service Blog - RT @sravish: 4 Major Differences between Backend as a Service platforms (#BaaS) like @Kinvey and MEAPs like @kony ->
- Kids can't use computers... and this is why it should worry you - Coding 2 Learn
Wednesday, November 20, 2013
Posted by Gordon Haff at 1:20 PM