- Revealed: The jobs that will be wiped out by cloud computing | TechRepublic
- Latency numbers every programmer should know — Gist
- HIPAA Compliance Cheat Sheet for Cloud Storage – Symform
- Twitter / justinwolfers: A passive-aggressive nudge - RT @R_Thaler: Agree“@justinwolfers: A passive-aggressive nudge. I bet it works. (cc @R_Thaler) ”
- The rise of the 17-hour journalist... | ZDNet - "The stark economic reality of the media business is that there’s little money in producing original content. In a world where a click is a click, and has about the same value, regardless of the quality of the underlying journalism - it is the means of production that defines the final product. Henry Blodget and the Business Insider editorial team aren’t the ones responsible for the poor state of journalism today, they are merely the expression of what’s currently possible given the means available - which isn’t much, a whole lot of nothing much (about 250 news stories a day at Business Insider). We desperately need a viable mass-media business model that rewards quality journalism. It’s one of the most challenging problems we face as a society, and one of the most elusive."
- 11 reasons your infographic isn’t an infographic
- Irish Mathematicians Solve The Guinness Sinking Bubble Problem - Technology Review
- MacSparky - Blog - About Apple Rumors - "Sadly, the Apple rumors just magnify everything that is wrong with the Internet’s busted click to pay advertising model and Apple rumors will continue as long as people can make a few pieces of silver on it. What we can do, however, as a community, is not click, not cover, and generally ignore this fictitious digital vomit."
- 2012 Internet Trends — Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers - Mary Meeker's latest.
- Stop Visually Assaulting Me. - Nice, succinct dos and don'ts.
- An Early Summer Dinner On The Grill - Saveur.com
- Java WORA Defences Spent? - Simon Says...
- New ‘Digital Divide’ Seen in Wasting Time Online - NYTimes.com - Not convinced there's really anything new here. Just new ways to waste time.
- Going Paperless on a Mac - ProfHacker - The Chronicle of Higher Education - "In “Stanzas from the Grande Chartreuse,” Matthew Arnold famously lamented that he finds himself “Wandering between two worlds, one dead, / The other powerless to be born.” A Victorianist by training, I feel confident in saying that Arnold refers here to the well-known problem of having lots of tools for managing digital information, and for digitizing yet more, and yet somehow still finding oneself overwhelmed by stacks of paper. The journey to a paperless workflow often feels like a two steps forward, 1.8 steps back affair."
- Mass. and MIT launching big data initiatives - Business - The Boston Globe - "Research conducted by the bigdata@CSAIL initiative will focus on domains such as finance, medicine, social media, and security. Sam Madden, an MIT associate professor and leader of bigdata@CSAIL, said one project would be “to develop more sophisticated tools for in-depth processing of medical information, which could lead to more accurate diagnostic techniques and better treatment methods for patients.”"
- Leadership Development in the Age of the Algorithm - Harvard Business Review - Seriously????? "Log on to your Facebook page, look at the column on the right, and you will see ads that seem uniquely relevant to you."
- Cloud migration: The applications killing season • The Register
Thursday, May 31, 2012
Posted by Gordon Haff at 1:55 PM