- tecosystems » Linux vs OpenSolaris…Again: The Q&A - I pretty much concur with all of Stephen's points.
- Schneier on Security: Cold Boot Attacks Against Disk Encryption - " it is very difficult to secure data when the attacker has physical control of the machine the data is stored on."
- Will Social Bookmarking Pay Dividends with Search Result Augmentation? - ReadWriteWeb - "the researchers at Stanford outlined a number of ways in which social bookmarking sites could be used to theoretically improve search engines, if not yet on a grand scale."
- Multitouch and Minority Report - O'Reilly Radar - We've been in an input device rut for a while now. Multitouch would seem to be at least one path forward.
- Hacking NetFlix : Do You Suffer From Netflix Burnout? - Interesting (true) comment: "I think Netflix puts pressure on some personality types (or people who are cheap like me) to feel like they are getting the most value out of the service. When I go through a lull watching movies, I cancel my account."
- Poll: Which is better, Aperture or Lightroom? | Underexposed - CNET News.com - "I don't like switching back and forth between editing and tagging." I agree. This is a similar issue to what I have with Office 2007. Let me customize and I could stay with a single set of controls 95% of the time.
- Ink: Tesla Slept Here: The Talk of the Town: The New Yorker - "“Everything that can be invented has been invented”—an 1899 statement attributed to a U.S. patent commissioner (which, if not apocryphal, might rival “Major combat operations in Iraq have ended” as the Least Accurate Remark Ever Uttered by a Senior Government Official."
- Sorry Mike, Digg is NOT a User-Generated Content Site | CenterNetworks - Old I know :-) FWIW, I look at digg and its ilk as recommenders/filters. Or, to be more precise, as a crowd-based version of same. Comments on digg are the lowest level of blather. It makes slashdot look erudite.
- Linkin Park To Participate In Upcoming New York Apple Event - Mac Forums - Off-topic/Love comment "I'm so avant garde I hate every band ever. I only listen to acts that play in their own garages. As soon as they get a pub gig I reject them as lyrical sell-outs and move on. I also post about it on the internet."
- Nature revealed at World Photographic Awards - Telegraph - Some great shots here.
- Kleptography - Don Ellis - Richard Franiec's Components - More Canon G9 accessories.
- Lensmateonline - Canon PowerShot G9/G7 - Various accessories.
- The Secret Diary of Steve Jobs: Andrea Jung is making my life a living hell - A particularly good one.
- Rough Type: Nicholas Carr's Blog: Crowd control at eBay - Great post looking at the breakdown of bottoms-up regulation system over time.
- The Secret Diary of Steve Jobs: Sun's new focus? Storage. No, Java. No, MySQL. No, Linux. No, supercomputers. - Funny. Mean. But funny.
Friday, February 22, 2008
Posted by Gordon Haff at 11:23 AM