- SEOmoz | Explaining (Some of) Google's Algorithm with Pretty Charts & Math Stuff - A lot of interesting detail related to Google ranking algorithms.
- Chart Shows How Few Missions To Mars Succeeded - Space - io9
- Against 'Moneyball' | The New Republic - A critique of Lweis' Moneyball.
- Shakespeare, Plagiarism Detection and Authorship | PlagiarismToday - I know that I tend to reuse phrases and so forth. I'd be curious to run a number of my pieces through this some day and see what I find.
- Information Retrieval Gupf » Music and Exploratory Search - I find myself increasingly letting services and software create my playlists for me.
- Emerging Internet Trends: An Analysis of Mary Meeker's Web 2.0 Summit Presentation - RWW's analysis of Mary Meeker's presentation.
- Kirk's Rants: Monty, Stallman, MySQL, Oracle, and Sun: Open Letter Wars - As one of the comments puts it, well-articulated rant. I have no idea whether all the specific allegations therein are true or not.
- Adobe demos next-gen erase tool in Photoshop | Deep Tech - CNET News - "Every time Photoshop gets something like this, some folks--not without some reason in my opinion--get concerned that we can't trust the veracity of the images you see. But let's be clear: while the ease and sophistication of editing is increasing, photo manipulation has been going on for more than a century. And the way I see it, the profusion of digital cameras and ease of posting photos online probably reality is being documented in unretouched form more comprehensively than ever. "
- This Photo Is Lying to You | Outside Online - Good discussion of manipulation in nature photos.
- Mary Meeker's Internet Presentation 2009 - Mobile will be the incremental driver of Internet growth.
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Posted by Gordon Haff at 4:02 PM