- tecosystems » Open Source: Thinking Outside the Glass Box - Interesting piece by SOG. He makes good points though I wonder if such a broad definition of Open Source is so broad as to be not particularly useful (i.e. everything as Open Source).
- Schneier on Security: LifeLock and Identity Theft - Not something I'm particularly expert on but seems a thorough and fair rundown on the whole LifeLock business.
- The AP v. Everybody: Not So Clearly Fair Use | CenterNetworks - And, finally, I think it fair comment that a lot of blogs out there--even those who don't gratuitously scrape posts and stories--often resort to relatively long excerpts with comparatively short doses of commentary of any kind.
- Why Saul Hansell is wrong on AP » mathewingram.com/work | - A couple more comments here/ As a conceptual matter, "fair use" makes a great default starting point. In practice, it's horribly vague so I do think that explicit guidelines would be welcome. However, AP has done a horrible job; some guidelines that they've at least implicitly suggested fall way short of what's widely considered good fair use practice by the most principled and thoughtful users.
- The A.P., Hot News and Hotheaded Blogs - Bits - Technology - New York Times Blog - Probably the most thoughtful piece I've read on the AP dustup.
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Posted by Gordon Haff at 9:45 AM