- Auto Insurance Enters the 'Pay-per-View' Era - WSJ.com - "At a telematics conference in suburban Detroit last week, Allstate's Mr. Bryer prompted chuckles from his competitors when he said that telematics-enabled insurance pricing could grow to 70% of the market in 10 years. However, he and his rivals agreed it is likely that user-based insurance could account for about a fifth of the market within five years." -- Of course, those agreeing to this would be the lowest risk, least-driving segment, which would drive up the rates for everyone in the pool not participating.
- The distractions of social media, 1673 style « tomstandage.com - "When coffee became popular in Oxford and the coffeehouses selling it began to multiply, the university authorities objected, fearing that coffeehouses were promoting idleness and diverting students from their studies. Anthony Wood, an Oxford antiquarian, was among those who denounced the enthusiasm for the new drink. “Why doth solid and serious learning decline, and few or none follow it now in the university?” he asked. “Answer: Because of coffee-houses, where they spend all their time.” "
- Innovation in the forecast at 'Cloud' conference | The Pervasive Data Center - CNET News - Balancing speed & innovation with security & regulation at #Forecast12. By me at CNET
- Malcolm talks Cloud | The Cloud Evangelist - RT @EMEACloudGuy: Great Guardian Article from Red Hat on Cloud
- New Relic and the State of the Stacks – tecosystems - RT @DanJuengst: Awesome report by @sogrady of Red Monk from @newrelic data. Check second to last paragraph #openshi ...
- (403) http://www.yelp.com/biz/9QZ_60ZC_BVn51adqNMI-A?pt=check_in&ref=twitter&v=4b - I checked in at Braai (329 W 51st St) on #Yelp
- The Evolution of the Computer Science Degree - Input Output - Interesting history.
- Don't let this happen to you! Cloud, complexity and drift
- Technical accumen beats a Crystal Ball in Cloud | The Cloud Evangelist - "If you use an Open Cloud, if you think about your architecture planning and build that portability and security of process and control into your Cloud using tools such as CloudForms then I reckon 80% of the actual inhibitors outlined in the Gartner report become actual reasons to go Open and to speed up Cloud adoption."
- There’s a New Serif in Town: The Evolution of Type... - Input Output - Nice overview of typography history.
- Twitter / utollwi: Meet @ghaff leading a disc - RT @utollwi: Meet @ghaff leading a discussion on Cloud Computing at #PCampBoston
Thursday, June 14, 2012
Posted by Gordon Haff at 3:12 PM