- What the Windows desktop will look like in 2015: Brian's vision of the future - Brian Madden - BrianMadden.com - Seems a realistic view.
- Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way - Very good and detailed post on how Android handles multitasking.
- Illuminata » HP Buys Palm: Huh?! - "But even if HP wants to contend in the mobile device or smartphone space, the real questions are: “Can it? Really? And if so, is Palm the route to doing so?”" << This is the crux. Just because Palm was perhaps the most available purchase doesn't make it a good buy.
- Linux Hater's Blog: A year later - "Why are y'all _still_ focused on random niche desktop thick client apps. Linux's problem is not a lack of thick client apps. Hardly anyone uses them, other than Office."
- VMware: The Console: VMforce and VMware’s “Open PaaS” Strategy - Blog post by Steve Herrod.
- Why Will Consumers Pay More (For A Mac)? | Forrester Blogs - A good illustration from Macs by @forrester 's @jgowdner on persuading consumers to pay more
Thursday, April 29, 2010
Posted by Gordon Haff at 10:44 AM
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
- Constant Touch: a Global History of the Mobile Phone - Have to love the pic!
- Backpacking | Cracked.com - A lot of this is pretty true.
- Twitterfountain.com - HP used this for their "twitter fountain" on a monitor at their HP Analyst Summit. May be what I'm looking for in my sunroom.
- Will Cloud Hype, Reality Meet Somewhere in Middle? | Interviews | ITBusinessEdge.com - I sorta get the point he's making about "operations as a service" but it sounds a lot like infrastructure-as-a-service with just a somewhat different pricing model.
- The New DevOps Designers: Cloud and The Big Rethink - Good presentation from James Urquhart.
- Forecast: Expect More Clouds - Chuck's Blog - "If there's one anecdote that perfectly captures the essence of private cloud thinking, it'd be Geir Ramleth's before-and-after story. If you think about it, Bechtel's nomadic population of knowledge workers are a perfect use case for private clouds -- and what lays beyond." Bechtel is very forward looking with desktop virtualization and BYOPC thinking as well for the same reasons.
Posted by Gordon Haff at 12:32 PM
Monday, April 26, 2010
- The Echo Nest Song API « Music Machinery
- SF Signal: Awesome Futuristic Short Film: The Raven
- Five reasons iPhone vs Android isn't Mac vs Windows - O'Reilly Radar - You can probably argue with some of the specific assertions but, overall, a good look at some of the dynamics of the mobile market--and how they're different from Mac vs. Wintel.
- Docs: 2006 ROzzie@UW In Pursuit of Social Productivity
Posted by Gordon Haff at 10:13 AM
Friday, April 23, 2010
- tecosystems » VMware’s Database Play: Will Red Hat Follow?
- Irving Wladawsky-Berger: Economics After the Crisis - "As often happens, disruptive events like our ongoing financial crisis leave in their wake a number of unanticipated consequences. It seems that one of the most interesting such consequences will be that the field of economics is finally becoming a true empirical science. "
- iCyte - Home - Browser add-on the save web pages.
- As We May Think - Magazine - The Atlantic - Vannevar Bush's amazing prescient 1945 article in The Atlantic that presaged hypertext/WWW.
Posted by Gordon Haff at 1:06 PM